Amazon Affiliate Program: What It Is & How You Can Use It To Make More Sales
Since the 25 years of its launch, Amazon has been indisputably growing into one of the biggest eCommerce platforms, with millions of sellers and consumers leveraging its profits and benefits.
According to Statista, over 197 million people worldwide get on their mobile devices and visit Amazon—proving how seamless and convenient it is to do online shopping on the platform. However, besides the consumers, Amazon is increasingly growing its target market by developing new acquisitions and offering various services.
It is also home to many online sellers. For example, Quartz’s statistics suggest over 50% of Amazon sales are from third-party sellers.
One such popular service/program is—Amazon Affiliate Program, also known as “Amazon Associates.” Whether you’re starting your own small business, starting a blog, or hoping to become an entrepreneur, the Amazon Affiliate Program can be a simple way to monetize your business and earn profits.
But how can you exactly make money through this program? How to get started? We’ll answer all these queries and more with a step-by-step, detailed procedure. But first, let’s first start with the basics.
What is the Amazon Affiliate Program?
The Amazon Affiliate Program is a free marketing program for bloggers, influencers, and website owners to become Amazon Associates.
It’s different from selling your business products on Amazon via Seller Central. Instead, as an Amazon Associate, you can advertise Amazon’s products on your blog, website, or social media platform by creating unique product links—Affiliate links.
When your blog visitors or customers click on these links and purchase the product, you can earn a referral fee for the traffic you send on Amazon. You can mention and create links for any products that best suit your brand, target audience, or those you’ve tried and tested yourself.
For instance, if you own a food or recipe blog, you can create links for the recipe ingredients, utensils you use, or electronic devices used to make the recipe (beater, grinder, etc.) and earn a commission when your readers buy products through those links.
Here’s what you need to do:
- You’ll receive a unique Associate ID, and the platform will send your application for approval.
- Once Amazon approves your application, you can begin creating links on your Amazon portal.
- You can then mention and place these links on your social media accounts or parts of your blogs or websites.
- If a customer clicks on these links and adds products to their carts within 24 hours of following the link, you’ll get a referral fee/commission from the sale.
- As long as your customers add the products to their carts within the next 24 hours of following your affiliate link, they need to check out their carts within the next 90 days for you to get a commission.
Note: Your customers don’t necessarily have to purchase the product for you to receive a commission—but if they do, it’s an added bonus.
You can read the Program Policies and Operating Agreement—implemented by Amazon to prevent negative customer experiences and potentially fraudulent activities.
As an Amazon Associate, you can earn between $100 to $20,000 from Amazon Affiliate Program, depending on the amount of traffic you send to Amazon and how many referrals you generate for the platform. However, since this program works on a commission basis, you only earn a percentage per sale.
Besides the number of referrals, the commission rate also depends on the product category. You can review the program’s commission rate per product category to calculate your potential earnings depending on your blog/website’s niche.
How to become an Amazon affiliate?
One of the prerequisites for becoming an Amazon Affiliate is owning an active blog, website, or YouTube channel. It allows you to target the right and ideal audience and bring in more traffic.
Here’s how you can become an affiliate:
Step 1- Visit the Amazon Associate homepage and click on the Sign Up button.
Step 2- Enter your credentials—email or phone number and password. Then, click on the Sign-In button. Or click on Create your Amazon account if you don’t have an existing account.
Step 3- Enter your account information.
Step 4- Enter your website, blog, mobile app, YouTube channels URLs.
Step 5- Enter your profile credentials and this information:
- Preferred Associates Store ID
- Info about your websites or mobile apps
- Select a primary topic that best describes your website/mobile app
- Select a secondary topic that best describes your website/mobile app
- Products/items you intend to list on your website/mobile app
- Select a primary type of your website/mobile app
- Select a secondary type of your website/mobile app
Step 6- Enter Traffic and Monetization information. Here’s the information you need to enter:
- How do you drive genuine traffic to your websites—paid search, SEO, email, etc.
- How do you use your blog or website to generate income?
- How many unique visitors do your website or app receive per month?
- Your primary reason behind joining the Amazon Associates Program
- How did you hear about the program?
Step 7- Enter the captcha, check on the Operating Agreement checkbox, and click on the Finish button.
Step 8- Enter your payment and tax information, or click on Later if you wish to enter it later and proceed to your account dashboard.
Step 9- Once your account is ready, you’ll land on your personal homepage, where you can see your performance and track your earnings. This is where you can create and build your affiliate links.